You are welcome to come into our church to prayer at any time during daylight hours, and visit our Chapel for private prayer. The Chapel is situated at the end of the corridor to the right when you come in at the front of church. A Prayer Station is available for reflection.
Christians often find it helpful to use their different senses to draw closer to God in stillness and quiet.
- listening to a CD of birdsong, the rustling wind or the sea may remind them of God’s beautiful creation.
- tasting honey may remind them of the sweetness of our loving God.
- holding a rough stone may remind them of the hard times they may have experienced. They may ask God to help them make sense of those experiences
- the smell of incense may remind them of their prayers rising to heaven.
- looking at the light of a candle may remind them of Jesus, the Light of the World.
There will always be something like this in the Chapel, with some words to help you use it in reflection and prayer. Come and see, smell, touch, hear or taste!
These three prayer stations each reflected a phrase in the Lord’s Prayer.
This is the 100 days of prayer that Christians in Cumbria are undertaking as we seek God’s guidance for a ‘God for All’ vision refresh, post-2020. It runs until 17 September and then it will be followed by 100 days of listening, taking us through to Christmas Day. We are using the following prayer:
We give you thanks for all your blessings
That you are truly for all
And that all is for you.
We give you thanks that you call us to be your disciples
And to live as witnesses of your good news.
We pray that you will be with us in these days of prayer
To guide and lead us in all your ways.
An Autumn Prayer
Abba, Father, the trees are ablaze with your glory.
The seasons change, but you never do.
You are always beautiful,
in the green and freshness of spring
as in the golds and reds and chills of autumn.
Make me like you.
Let my life reflect your beauty,
season after season,
as the calendar of my life turns and turns and turns.
The trees are letting go of this year’s foliage.
Help me let go of both blessings and burdens,
and surrender them both to your loving care.
Fallen leaves pattern the ground with variety.
So design my own fallings and failings
into whatever design will please you most.
In Jesus’ name, I pray,